Originally from The Greatist
Nix those suspicions that good, homemade food comes with an exorbitant price tag. We found exactly the opposite, actually. If we roll up our sleeves and make homemade pasta, cookies, or just about any other food, it costs a whole lot less than buying the pre-made versions. Not to mention the pride of putting a from-scratch meal on the table.
1. Granola bars
$0.48 each for homemade | $0.69 each for Kashi brand
Who doesn’t love a crunchy, chewy grab-and-go snack? But there’s no need to shell out big bucks or entrust our health to unpronounceable ingredients. Oats, nuts, berries, and honey star in this recipe and significantly cut back on costs.
$0.75 per ¼ cup homemade | $0.87 for ¼ cup Santa Barbara brand
Guacamole’s an easy and stove-free snack to whip up on a warm, summer afternoon. Making it at home not only ups the freshness (and flavor), but also makes it easier to control saltiness and the heat. Pair with homemade tortilla chips for even more healthy points. Ole!
$0.21 per 2 tablespoon serving homemade | $0.43 for 2 tablespoons Sabra brand
Dangerfood or not, this dip is delicious. And when restraining ourselves to a two-tablespoon serving, it costs less than a quarter. Plus, the directions are simple — just blend! No more $6 hummus tubs needed.
4. Fruit snacks
$0.63 per roll homemade | $0.72 for Fruitabu brand
Homemade fruit snacks or “fruit leather” is a steal even when buying the fruit from the grocery store. But if it’s mid-summer and that fruit tree just keeps producing more, fruit leather’s an awesome and practically free way to preserve it. Just add lemon, sugar, and spices (which are actually optional!).
5. Tortilla chips
$0.31 per 12 chips homemade | $0.53 for 12 chips Tostitos brand
Don’t buy the family-sized bag! Repurpose old tortillas as chips by lightly spraying with oil and baking. While any tortillas will do, we recommend the homemade ones below.
6. Nut butters
$0.29 per 2 tablespoons homemade | $0.29 for Smuckers Natural brand
It’s peanut butter-jelly time! Homemade nut butters eliminate the need for crazy preservatives and over-the-top fat and salt content. Just grind those nuts up for any variety of nut butter imaginable!
7. Salad dressing
$0.52 per 2 tablespoons homemade | $0.64 per 2 tablespoons Maple Grove Farms brand
This one’s a Greatist favorite: toss some olive oil and balsamic vinegar into a nearly empty mustard jar and shake. It’ll get out those last drops of flavor from the mustard and serve as a simple storage container for the dressing. Not to mention it’s C-H-E-A-P. Or try one of these easy recipes for some variety.
$0.90 per 1 ½ cups homemade | $2.23 for 1 ½ cups Amy’s brand
Skip the potential threat of BPA in the canned stuff by whipping up a big pot of soup at home. Combine any veggies, broth (check out how to make it from scratch below), pasta, and any leftover meat on hand. Freeze in single-serve portions for easy defrosting!
$0.11 per ¼ cup homemade | $0.16 per ¼ cup Progresso brand
Unseasoned bread crumbs are ultra-easy to make. Just grind up a few slices of bread and toast. For flavored crumbs, add in dried herbs. Use whole-wheat bread for added fiber and B vitamins.
10. French fries
$0.72 per ½ cup serving homemade | $0.90 per ½ cup serving Alexia brand
Sweet potato fries are basically the new Micky D’s, and this is one trend we recommend everyone get in on. Just slice up some sweet potatoes and toss with oil, salt, and spices, and bake until crispy. There’s no frying involved and the potatoes are practically the only cost.
(Read the rest at The Greatist!)
*Photo from Oh She Glows
- builtlikeanamazon reblogged this from riiaeatsright
- beachbodyboundsumma13israel reblogged this from newbeginning206
- herbwebb likes this
- get-fit-n-shit reblogged this from fityogini and added:
- get-fit-n-shit likes this
- newbeginning206 reblogged this from fityogini
- noahgimbles likes this
- unus--amore likes this
- modernhepburn likes this
- petitamie likes this
- thelittleenginewithcurves likes this
- tessalinasofia likes this
- jasmine-mwaalee likes this
- waittillyouseemyprogress likes this
- againsttheflub reblogged this from run-love-grow
- skinny2013 reblogged this from riiaeatsright
- feeling-healthy likes this
- clairemdr likes this
- margoroth-spiegel-man likes this
- jae-woon likes this
- octopussgarden reblogged this from run-love-grow
- weshouldletitbe reblogged this from riiaeatsright
- bunnypuffzzz likes this
- run-love-grow reblogged this from riiaeatsright
- jamielivinhealthy likes this
- missxdawn likes this
- giannaxpacitti likes this
- anewmimi likes this
- prohappiness reblogged this from riiaeatsright
- the-virginityclub likes this
- dontlookk likes this
- angelshoe likes this
- nikkihoyhoy reblogged this from riiaeatsright
- pureandhealthy likes this
- spreadhisword likes this
- cfrshseto likes this
- ohhwowlovvely likes this
- shammix likes this
- malloryisforeverfit reblogged this from terrifu-ck
- healthyouth likes this
- be-healthyfitfree reblogged this from gymbunny
- per-fectly-entwined likes this
- mission125 reblogged this from mission150
- mission125 likes this
- gymbunny reblogged this from riiaeatsright