If you read my Healthy or Haux post, you already know how I feel about product labeling: Good for the companies pockets…not so good for our health!
A perfectly good example what I mean by this would be breakfast cereals.
For most people, cereals are a great way to start their morning or a perfect snack throughout the day. Whatever the case, I’m sure plenty of you include cereal somewhere in your week. So what’s so bad about cereal? Nothing! That is if you’re picking the right ones!
Remember my recent post about GMOs? (if you don’t, read it here!) Knowing how bad GMOs are, it’s pretty alarming to hear that most “natural” breakfast cereals contain high levels of these genetically enginered ingredients! Yikes!
The Cornucopia Institute’s did a study and revealed some scary facts!
• Kashi Cereals: Contain high levels of GMOs and 100% of the soy used was genetically engineered soy.
• Mother’s Brand Cereal’s: Contain high levels of GMOs. Tests revealed 28% of the corn to be genetically engineered.
• Whole Foods’ 365 brand Corn Flakes: Contains high levels of GMOs (more than 50% genetically engineered corn)
• Barbara’s Bakery Puffins cereal: Also shown to contain more than 50% genetically engineered corn.
• Kashi GoLean, Mother’s Bumpers, Nutritious Living Hi-Lo, and General Mills Kix: All considered “natural” and are also contaminated with high levels of GE ingredients (sometimes as high as 100%)
• Quaker Oats: Claims to be an “all-natural” product, but Quaker Oats (a unit of PepsiCo) manages a processing plant that emits roughly 19,000 pounds of sulfuryl fluoride yearly. (Sulfuryl fluoride is a toxic greenhouse gas used to treat crops like oats in storage.)
• Mom’s Best Naturals Raisin Bran Cereal: contains “natural” (non-GMO) ingredients that are commonly contaminated with malathion and phosmet chemicals, both of which are neurotoxins.
What’s a neuortoxin? Neurotoxins are poisons that cause harm to our nerve cells and nervous system.
• Bear Naked and Kashi: Several products from these compaines contain conventional soy protein.
So as you an tell, some of the so called “healthy” products contain some surprisingly unhealthy ingredients! Be careful with what you put into your body! Do your research :) And remember…just because something is labeled natural, does not necessarily make it healthy!
Read More Here!